Friday, April 28, 2006

Couver Groover

I'm lucky enough to revisit this fine town for work.

The weather has been pretty much damn near perfect here, 20+ deg clear blue sky, no wind, fresh air. After Taiwan, gulping the air here is great.
This week has been crazy with work, basically discussions/meetings all week mainly in Vancouver but today was a day of the same but in Seattle (which is 2-3 hrs away by car). My first visit to the home of the space needle, and the birthplace of Starbucks, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Corbain...Pearl Jam and who knows what else - oh yeah the 747 Jetliner (which happens to be a big part of why I was there doh).
Before the week started, I managed to get the weekend to myself up here and rented a car. I didn't do as much driving as last time, but this time is was great to cruise around Vancouver checking out some of the regular local hangouts like Tim Hortons, Home Depot and Staples, among other places.
This time I drove to North Vancouver and had a look around the neighborhood that is part of the mountainous forest overlooking the city and the bay towards Victoria.
For some reason the jet lag hit me hard this visit and I lost most of Saturday in bed after waking naturally at 4 PM after 14 hrs sleep....whoops.
Seattle was pretty cool. I literally got to look around the city by car only on the way to and from a nice restaurant I went to with some colleagues called Anthony's Pier 66. It was a seafood restaurant overlooking the bay, and even at 9 pm it was a great view out the window towards the pacific.
The US is quite an eye opener. Lots of BIG people and mega convenience in the form of massive malls and outlet complexes on the outskirts of the city. Also lots of BIG cars and pickups and lots of Harleys, which is great. Always love the sound of a V-Twin over a 125 scooter anyday.
While driving around Vancouver I spotted an early VW Combi camper for sale, $2500 CND which I thought was pretty cheap considering the one we picked up/sold in London was about 3000 POUNDS. (like 2-3 times the price).

One hotel I was staying at, the Hilton, ended up being the most expensive place out of the three, and didn't have internet or breakfast included in the room rate. I wasn't going to pay $20 CND for a bowl of cereal for 5 mornings, so I went to a store and bought some cereal and some milk. I have been meaning to try out some Cheerios, so I got those. Not bad, tastes like "Nutrigrain" for those from Oz and NZ.

Who knows if we'll ever end up in this part of the world again, for work, a holiday or to live, but it sure is a nice part of the world and I'm lucky to be able to visit. Twice.

Tim Hortons
Home Depot
Tourism Vancouver
See Seattle