Tuesday, September 05, 2006

That reminds me...

I was waiting to get some photos from the one-who-takes-231-shots-per-day-on-a-sony-T1 , but all she sent me was some old, random shot of herself, which I have to somehow work into the story I guess.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to be in the same town as the one-who-analyzes-friggen-bathroom-fawcets when I was in vancouver last week. She seemed pretty low key to catch up, but I know, I reckon there was some covert reaction like this when I told her I was in town:Anyway, the one-who-can-hardly-see-over-the- steering-wheel came around in a rental and took me on a tour of a couple of spots. Notably, the Cactus Club on Broadway for Calamari and some sauce that the one-who-would-probably-like-to-be-a-food-critic seemed to rave about. It did taste good actually, kinda yoghurty and garlicy with a dash of something lemony perhaps. Sounded Japanese the name, I really can't recall it. Tartare or something.
Anyway, the one-who-likes-a-bargain apparently noticed that some cocktail smoothie drink was DOUBLE the size on tuesdays (that would explain the auto pilot driving after looking at a calendar). So we each had one of those. Just one, but could have had more I reckon.

After that, the one-who-said-she'd-never-leave-604 drove me to some intersection that divides Vancouver with Burnaby. This is apparently significant. It must be, as the one-who-once-lived-on-the-better-side-of-the-intersection mentioned it twice. Or 3 times.

Anyway, the point of mentioning Burnaby, was that was where we headed, to the dark side to a fine restaurant with a fine name, called Anton's.
It's a damn popular place, even for a tuesday, and there was about an hour long queue outside. It seemed that everyone in the queue was taking photos against the sign to ease the boredom. Check out this fool:* The longer everyone waited, the hungrier everyone got, but lucky for the queue-sters there was a big glass window so it was nice to salivate and comment on the dishes being eaten 15cm away on the other side of the glass. Unlucky to get that table, I commented with jest.

Anyway, once inside we had a bit of fun with the staff when they asked what name the table is under. Just for kicks we said "Anton" - what a hoot, but the frau didn't see the funny side of it. Maybe she thought the name was for real or something. She took us to a special table - the one right by the window. See above *

The food was good. Gi-normous in fact. These fatties next to us had one platter each AND a starter. Good gawd, we couldn't finish one platter between us. The one-who-mustn't-eat-land-creatures-but-sea-creatures-are-ok recommended the.....seafood pasta, which actually tasted pretty good.

I remember seeing a photo somewhere of the one-who-likes-to-pose-in-a-suggestive-manner-with-innate-things outside this famous restaurant, but when I did an image google for Anton's Pasta, I didn't find that, but got a bunch of other pics that I thought I would share randomly through out this blog.

Anyway, some more driving back to the northern most suburb of Taiwan, known as Richmond B.C. and I waved goodbye to what appeared (from behind) to be a driverless car departing. freaky. ha.

Thank you to the one-who-can-eat-more-than-me-but-still-remain-0.5-of-my-weight. It was a flying visit, but glad to know I managed to out-do all those useless, less dedicated people who call themselves fans back in Taiwan.

Anton's Pasta review
Cactus Club site